Tenerife Cycling Volcano Tour 2016 & 2017
October 2016 - June 2017 (See below for dates)
Enjoy a week of cycling in Tenerife riding many of the roads used by top cycling professionals, such as Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome and Team Sky, to perfect their cycling form in time for major cycling races. There are 3 tours on offer depending on your level; New Riders Tour, Volcano Tour and Challenge Tour. All tours will take you up the famous Mount Teide.
The roads of Tenerife are fantastic for cycling at any time of the year, but especially so in the winter, when the weather is generally pleasant with daily temperatures reaching 20c or more and the weather is mostly dry. Cycling in Tenerife is less about the mileage you cover and more about the amount of time you spend in the saddle, as there is a lot of climbing involved as you are in the presence of Spain’s highest mountain.
Volcano Cycling Tour:
Our Volcano cycling tour in Tenerife, led by our local guides, consists of amazing cycling rides, 3-8 hours cycling per day and support on the road. It’s a great way of having a challenging cycling holiday in Tenerife and combining it with training.
New Riders Tour:
If you are new to riding and are looking for an exciting way to develop your cycling skills, but feel that the standard Volcano Tour is beyond your reach, then we have the answer! You can still book the Volcano Tour, and take up the option of the New Rider version of the tour. The New Rider version follows the same itinerary as the standard Volcano Tour, on the dates specified below, but offers modified versions of the daily rides, to help develop your capabilities in road cycling. Just choose your date from the list below, book as normal, and during the booking process you will be asked if you want to take the New Riders option.
Challenge Cycling Tour:
This cycling tour is a perfect way to have a cycling training week in Tenerife with all of the advice, help and support that you can wish for. This is a perfect tour for those riders who would like to take on the Volcano Tour, but want that additional level of difficulty. The Toughest Tour on Tenerife! Perfect for preparing for a big Sportive. Just choose your date from the list below, book as normal, and during the booking process you will be asked if you want to take the Challenge Tour option.
About the Hotel:
**** Paradise Park – Volcano Tour
The Paradise Park Hotel is a well known and popular hotel in Los Cristianos, in the south of Tenerife. Recently refurbished, it is a good 4 star hotel, with twin rooms as standard. Located about 15 minutes drive from TFS airport, it is also a good location for being able to reach the quieter roads on the island and start your ascent of Teide.
The hotel has a buffet restaurant, where breakfast and dinner is served, a number of bars and 4 swimming pool areas. There is also a spa and a gym (payable locally), which offers massages.
In the evening time, there is a regular entertainment programme and you are close enough to other bars and restaurants to venture out if you wish.
2016 Dates for the Tenerife Volcano Tour:
- 22nd – 29th October 2016 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 5th – 12th November 2016 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 3rd – 10th December – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 10th – 17th December – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 27th Dec – 3rd January (supplement applies)
2017 Dates of the Tenerife Volcano Tour:
- 21st – 28th January – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 4th – 11th February – Volcano and Challenge Tour
- 18th – 25th February – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 4th – 11th March – Volcano and Challenge Tour
- 11th – 18th March – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 18th – 25th March 2017 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 25th March – 1st April 2017 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 8th – 15th April 2017 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 15th – 22nd April – Volcano, New Rider Tour and Challenge Tour
- 22nd – 29th April – Volcano Tour
- 6th – 13th May 2017 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 20th May – 27th May – Volcano and New Rider Tour
- 3rd – 10th June 2017 – Volcano and New Rider Tour
We also offer other cycling tours in Tenerife, the intermediate Tenerife Cycling Lunar tour and the opportunity to cycle on two landscapes, Tenerife and La Gomera : the Two Islands cycling tour.
Tenerife Cycling Tours itineraries:
- Volcano Tour weekly totals – 491km – Elevation Gain: 11950m
- New Rider Tour weekly totals – 386km – Elevation Gain: 8150m
- Challenge Tour weekly totals – 543km – Elevation Gain: 13500m
DAY 1 – Saturday:
Meet at our hotel. For those who want to have an airport transfer at no extra charge please contact us in advance. Contact Sports Tours Cycling Note: Pick up Tenerife airport is for free. We will collect you and we`ll bring you to our hotel on Tenerife. The tour leader will explain the coming activities and itinerary for this Cycling Tenerife program. Evening meal is provided.
DAY 2 – Sunday – Vilaflor East:
The route starts from the Paradise Park Hotel in Los Cristianos with a gentle steady climb to our first stop at La Centinela with time to refuel and take in the superb views. We then make our way to the town of Granadilla where we start a smooth 13km climb (average grade of 5-6%) to our cafe stop at Vilaflor. After that you´ll ride an amazing descent to Los Cristianos.
- Volcano Tour – 65km – Elevation Gain: 1450m
- New Rider Tour – 65km – Elevation Gain: 1400m
- Challenge – 73km – Elevation Gain: 1850m
Your first biking day in Tenerife! In the morning or afternoon you can warm up your legs for the upcoming week. This route is “light” so you can warm up for the week to come. Dinner included.
DAY 3 – Monday – Vilaflor South:
We start again from the Paradise Park Hotel in Los Cristianos, however we turn left 4kms after our first stop at La Centinela and start an amazing 10km climb to Vilaflor. This climb has an average of 7%, however the last 3kms are quite challenging as the gradient increases slightly. You will arrive at the same cafe as the day before for your well earned rest and beverage, before starting the descent to Los Cristianos through Granadilla. This descent from Vilaflor gives you beautiful scenery and pure cycling fun!
- Volcano Tour – 65km – Elevation Gain: 1450m
- New Rider Tour – 61km – Elevation Gain: 1400m
- Challenge – 70km – Elevation Gain: 1850m
DAY 4 – Tuesday – King’s day:
This is the first real challenge of the week. The first part of the route (optional for the New Riders tour) is a small loop and perfect warm up through Tamaimo & Santiago del Teide. At Santiago del Teide you have the option to climb one of the most famous roads in Tenerife: Masca, a climb of just over 1km with an average gradient of 11%. Once at the top you will see the impressive views and village of Masca below. You will then continue to Chio where we start the 24Km climb to the National Park of El Teide. The climbing isn’t over yet as we have a final 3km climb before we start a spectacular descent to Los Cristianos.
- Volcano Tour – 101km – Elevation Gain: 2300m
- New Rider Tour – 78km – Elevation Gain: 1750m
- Challenge – 140km – Elevation Gain: 3200m
DAY 5 – Wednesday – Recovery day:
Today is a gentle recovery ride along the coast to the town of El Medano. This is to allow your legs to recover before the Queen’s day, the most challenging route of the tour. At El Medano’s we will stop at one of the many sea-front cafes before returning along the same route.
- Volcano Tour – 43km – Elevation Gain: 800m
- New Rider Tour – 43km – Elevation Gain: 800m
- Challenge – 43km – Elevation Gain: 800m
DAY 6 – Thursday – Queen’s day:
You´ll be transfered to Arico where your bike will be waiting for you to start the route. Once we have passed through the picturesque village of Guimar, we start the climb of 34 kms to El Teide National Park. Breathtaking scenery awaits you, probably the most impressive landscapes Tenerife has to offer. After a cafe stop at the mythical Parador hotel and a photograph opportunity with Mount Teide in the background there is only 3kms more of climbing before another spectacular descent to Los Cristianos (same as King’s Day).
- Volcano Tour – 135km – Elevation Gain: 3200m
- New Rider Tour – 78km – Elevation Gain: 1400m
- Challenge – 135km – Elevation Gain: 3200m
DAY 7 – Friday – Vilaflor + Paella Party:
After 5 days of a great cycling we give you the option to start from Vilaflor (1,400m altitude) or start from the hotel (an extra 22kms and 1,400m of climbing). Either way you will arrive at the Parador hotel for a quick cafe stop and your last photo opportunity with El Teide. Only 5kms of climbing before we start one of the most beautiful descents to La Orotava for the Paella party at the Delgado’s family home in the countryside. Mama Delgado will greet you there with a warm smile and the wonderful aroma of her delicious cooking; the centre piece of which is a huge PAELLA, cooked the traditional way, of course
- Volcano Tour – 82km – Elevation Gain: 2750m
- New Rider Tour – 61km – Elevation Gain: 1450m
- Challenge – 82km – Elevation Gain: 2600m
DAY 8 – Departure day:
…..Time to say goodbye, a good flight back home or else a pleasant stay in Tenerife. Transfers to the Airport station will be made by the Tour guides.
Prices of the Volcano cycling tour:
£799 per person based on 2 people sharing a twin or double room
£889 per person for the sole occupancy of a room
Included in your Volcano, New Riders and Challenge cycling tour:
- 7 nights at Hotel Paradise Park in Los Cristianos
- 7 breakfasts
- 7 evening meals
- Airport transfers from Tenerife South (TFS) airport
- 6 mapped and prepared cycling routes designed by locals Alberto & Marcos Delgado
- Team leader on each route
- Back up van support with water and nutrition at each stage
- Mechanical Assistance
- Briefings, daily maps, cue sheets and elevation profiles for each stage
- Paella party for lunch on the final day, hosted by the Delgado family. Starters: homemade guacamole, Serrano ham & Chorizo sausage. Wine & beer are included today
Not included (not exhaustive):
- Flights to Tenerife
- Lunch on each day
- Any hotel extras
- Travel insurance – please visit our insurance page
How to Book:
Click on the links below, to book your 2016 or 2017 tour. At time of booking we require a non-refundable deposit per person plus any applicable entry fee. The balance of your travel package must be paid, at the latest, 12 weeks before departure to avoid the cancellation of your trip.
Please look here for our full booking conditions.
Click here to book your 2016 tour.
Click here to book your 2017 tour.
Single travellers and twin to share:
We welcome single travellers on our tours and holidays as it is a great way to join a like-minded group of people and you will make lots of new friends. If you would like to join our group as a single traveller we can offer you two options. A single room or if you want to avoid the single supplement then you can make use of our ‘twin to share’ option. We will pair you up with another rider (of the same sex) and you can enjoy the event without having to pay extra.
General, visa, passport and health information:
For passport and visa information, please check the relevant section on this page: https://www.gov.uk/browse/citizenship/passports. General Travel and health Information for your destination is available on the FCO website. Click here for the latest travel advice for Italy, and click here for useful ‘know before you go’ information also from the FCO. Please note that this information relates to UK passport holders only and that other nationalities should refer to their own authorities for this information.
For details of specialist sports travel insurance for our travel packages, please visit our insurance page. You must ensure that your travel insurance policy covers you to participate in running events. There is additional information about our other Concierge Services on our special web page.